Books and Chapters
- (with David Edery) “Changing the Game: How Videogames are Transforming the Future of Business.” Financial Times/Pearson Press.(2009).
- (with Kevin Werbach), “Games and the Enterprise” in Steffen P. Walz and Sebastian Deterding (eds.), The Gameful World. MIT Press. (2014)
- (with Matthew Bidwell, Shinjae Won, and Roxana Barbulescu) “I Used to Work at Goldman Sachs! Status, Careers, and Competitive Advantage,” Strategic Management Journal (Forthcoming)
- “Dynamics of Crowdfunding: Determinants of Success and Failure,” Journal of Business Venturing, Volume 29, Issue 1, January 2014, Pages 1–16
- “People and Process, Suits and Innovators: The Role of Individuals in Firm Performance.” Strategic Management Journal, 2012
- “Establishing Moore’s Law.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, 28(3): 62-75, (2006).
- “ Working with the Underground.” Sloan Management Review, (2005).
- “Engines of the Underground: The Elite-Kiddie Divide.” ACM SIGGROUP Bulletin, Issue 25, Vol. 2, (2005).
Working Papers and Papers Under Review
- “Wisdom or Madness? Comparing Crowds with Expert Evaluation in Funding the Arts” (with Ramana Nanda)
- “Leaning In or Leaning On? Gender, Homophily, and Activism in Crowdfunding” (with Jason Greenberg)
“When Firms are Potemkin Villages: Entrepreneurs and Formal Organizations” (with Venkat Kuppuswamy)
- “Swept Away by the Crowd? Crowdfunding, Venture Capital, and the Selection of Entrepreneurs”
- “Filthy Lucre: When are Innovations Commercialized?”
- Selected press coverage about this paper: Knowledge@Wharton
- “Mandatory Fun: Gamification and Games at Work” (with Nancy Rothbard)
- “Shifts and Ladders: Comparing the Role of Internal and External Mobility in Executive Careers” (with Matthew Bidwell)
- “In the Blood: Organizational History and the Heritability of New Venture Performance.”
- “After the Campaign: Outcomes of Crowdfunding.” (with Venkat Kuppuswamy)
- Entrepreneurship and career paths survey (with Matthew Bidwell). Large-scale survey of 30,000 Wharton MBA alumni, examining career paths and entrepreneurship.
- Motivation in entrepreneurial firms (with Nancy Rothbard). Longitudinal study of individual performance in a fast-growing entrepreneurial organization.
- Dynamics of crowdfunding.
Invited Conference Presentations
- Berkeley Crowdfunding Conference, October 2013
- HEC Entrepreneurship Conference, October 2013
- Academy of Management, August 2013
- Industry Studies Association, May 2013
- Atlanta Competitive Advantage Conference, May 2013
- BYU-Utah Winter Strategy Conference, March 2013
- Society of Management, September 2012
- Academy of Management, August 2012
- Industry Studies, May, 2012
- Strategic Management Society, November, 2011
- Gamification Summit, August, 2011
- Maryland Entrepreneurship Conference, March 2011
- American Sociological Association Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA August 2010
- Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Montreal, August 2010
- 8th Annual International Open and User Innovation Conference Cambridge, MA. August 2010
- Darden Entrepreneurship and Innovation Research Conference, May 2010
- Federal Reserve Bank of New York Education Policy Seminar, May 2010
- Roundtable for Engineering Entrepreneurship Research, Atlanta, GA. November 2008
- Harvard-MIT Economic Sociology Seminar, Cambridge, MA. September, 2008.
- American Sociological Association, Boston, MA. August, 2008.
- Academy of Management, Anaheim, CA. August, 2008.
- Cambridge-MIT Workshop on Open Innovation, Cambridge, UK. May, 2008.
- 15th Annual CCC Doctoral Colloquium, Pittsburgh, PA. April, 2008.
- Academy of Management, Philadelphia, PA. August, 2007.
- Academy of Management, Atlanta, GA. August, 2006.
- Fourth International Workshop on User Innovation, Technische Universität, Munich. June, 2006.
- I/ITSEC Conference. December, 2005.
- Workshop on User Innovation and Open Source Software, University of Munich. June, 2004.